Saturday 16 February 2013

Taj Mahal & Birthday party! (Day 17)


                                               Namaste!!!

So 11 of us (me and 10 classmates) set off to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It was a beautiful sight. I could see why it is one of the seven wonders of the world. We rented a government van that could seat 12 and took 5 hours to get there. There is an express route that should take around 3 hours but I have a feeling our driver didn’t take that route. Be warned that on you way there you will see monkey’s with owners, from experience I learned that if you take a picture of the monkey the owner will probably pester you to pay him for the opportunity to take a picture. It seems ridiculous but it will happen.

We left Delhi by 7 and got to the Taj around midday. After stopping for lunch at the Indiana restaurant, we went to see the Taj. The detail put into the architecture was just gorgeous and since I had learned a little bit about the history of the building, it was interesting to see someone’s declaration/ portrayal of love displayed for the whole world to see. 

I guess I’ll quickly summarize the history of the Taj Mahal. Here goes….


Our  group is excited to see the Taj!
Resting up before we see the Taj!



Beware of monkeys!!!




So you can see why it is such a nice place to visit. I have a few pics to put here. While I was there it was raining so much that I got a cold but it was totally worth it! We got back to Delhi by 11:00 or so.

Overall, it was a 4.75 out of 5 experience at the Taj. The .25 goes into the crowdedness and aggressiveness of everyone trying to push so that they could get out of the rain as well as the time it took to get there and my monkey experience. But I guess its understandable lol Also when you see the replica of the emperors and empress’ tombs, you will be rushed in and out so do not plan on lingering for a long time.

Drenched in the rain. 

Outside of the Taj

Found refuge in a crevice of the Taj

I made it!!!


Peace be with you all! I will be in Aligarh all next week so look forward to my next post.

Oh yes! Btw, as I mentioned in previous posts, I have the pleasure of living with a family that practices Sikhism. I have pictures from a recent birthday party I attended. J

So, my host parents and I drove to the Grudhvara which is the place of worship for Sikh’s. I got there and my host mother gave me a few rupees. Then when we took off our shoes and when upstairs. There was a lady ready what I would call hymns and people reciting them as well. I put the money in a box thing and knelt before the alter and followed everything my host mother did. Well…almost until I thought she was sitting down but she was actually circling the alter. Oopz? My bad.

After that one of the guys who I guess seemed like a priest made a mixture and passed it out to the congregation.  I took it and ate it. It tasted pretty good actually. If any of you are familiar with Harina, Farina, or Cream of wheat, then you will know what I am talking about. It takes like Farina mixed with peanut butter. And it was warm so some of the oil from the peanut butter remained on your hands and you could rub it into your skin.  Now as I reflect back on it, it was kind of nice lol

After that, more things were recited and the service ended and we went down stairs for the reception.  It was a nice gathering and it was catered. Mind you…the little girl looked like she was turning 1 or 2 years old. I guess when in India, you gotta go big or go home. I enjoyed myself though.

I’ll include some pictures, hope you enjoy J

Peace be with you all and look forward to future posts.




Service before the reception

Birthday girl and her mommy

Barbie cake!!!




_________________________________________________________________________________
***CGinSL***



No comments:

Post a Comment