Saturday 2 February 2013

Gandhi Samadhi and Dilli Haat Chaliye !!! (Day 3)

Hey everyone!

Today begins your brief Hindi lesson. Whenever you meet someone for the first time, fold your hands together and say Namaste! (Nu-muh-stay). It means hello and impresses people when you give them that respect. (Don't worry you don't have to say it to little kids or your brothers and sisters) It is a pretty formal greeting.

The second word is in today's blog title Chaliye (chuh-li-ye)!!! It means "Please let's go!" It's in the polite form so if you wish to say this to someone you are annoyed with and want them to hurry up and come with you then you wouldn't say Chaliye.


This entire day was fascinating! We went to Gandhi Samadi where Mahatma Gandhi was cremated, His last words were Hey Ram! So they inscribed it on the black marble of the memorial. It was a pretty,green and open place.

I saw little chipmunks playing and it made me think of my college in the spring time.(Random...I know)



My friend Claire and I :)

The final words of Mohatma Gandhi: "Hey Ram!"

The Devnagiri Script reads: Rajghat Samadhi

Almost there!

I saw this inscribed on a wall as we came in so I took a pic :P.



After visiting the memorial,  we went to Dilli Haat which is an Art and Craft Bazaar. First of all, if you are worried of going to a Market for the first time, you won’t have to be here because ladies and gents must go through security checks before going in.

When traveling to any place I would stay alert at all times and keep your eyes peeled for anything suspicious. It will definitely keep you on your toes.

I bought samosas (which are triangle shaped dumplings which have potatoes,peas,spices,etc), onion and tomato dosa and I tasted Jalebi’s!!!!  for the first time.. I really enjoyed my time there. Jalebi’s taste like pure sugar lol and its okay for me to feel tat way because they are deep fried in sugar. Bhavnaji (one of my professors) told me that its actually possible for the sugar on the jalebi,if too hot, to burn a persons skin off. Yikes!


It sounds kind of like an ad but : If you want to taste spicy food (or non spicy), enjoy a talent showcase, and eat dessert all in one place, then come to Dilli Haat.


Anyways, I still have yet to notice things/comments made pertaining to my color. I saw some Africans woot! Woot! So I didn’t feel totally alone. For a second, I thought I had heard a little boy say ‘kaale’ meaning black in Hindi but I could have been paranoid or wrong. They were probably just fascinated my the members in my group being white than I. In one case, a little boy who looked about 8 or 9 was trying to ask a girl in my group for her phone number. Can you believe it? lol

The groups we travel in constantly stare so at this point I am used to the stares we get from guys. Of course I realize when I have seen some guys looking at us and honking extra to get our attention. You learn to ignore it I guess.

I have pictures from my time in Dilli Haat so enjoy!




One of Hindi professors helping us order food.

Me and some friends waiting for our food :)



Ek Raja aur Ek Rani I saw hanging from a tree
 (Translation: One King and one Queen)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
***CGinSL***

No comments:

Post a Comment