Monday 4 February 2013

$$$ Shopping!!! Shopping!!! Shopping day!!! $$$ (Day 5)


I AM SOOOOOOOO EXHAUSTED! But I am also very much excited!

I will be meeting  my homestay family tomorrow as well as homestay orientation. The professor in charge of the homestays told me that they saw our pictures. I am hoping that they are super nice! She also told me that my homestay brother is very talkative. I am assuming she meant the actual brother and not the nephew. Anyways I hope they are the nicest.

I feel a little left out of the program group. I guess we just don’t share the same interests or maybe been a total extrovert isn’t really my thing. Oh well.  I hope things get better in that area.

I also want to do seriously well in my classes. I know our program director said that not everyone gets high marks on their work but I pray I do well. will try my hardest to become fluent in Hindi.

I guess I’ll talk about what went down today. I wish I could comment on the food but honestly the program center has made wonderful food since day one and I think my body is really used to the food here :)

Guess what we had for desert??? Jalebi’s!!!! lol

And guess what else we did????? SHOPPING?!!!!

We went to Westfield in Rajput Nagar. I officially bought two Kurtas (Indian shirts with cute designs on them), two dupatta’s (scarves), 1 black churidar (similar to leggings) and 1 pink pair of pants which have the patiala style (I think that's what the guy said). I am so excited and wish I could have bought more. Total for all of this…?


*DRUM ROLL PLZ*   *DRUM ROLL PLZ* *DRUM ROLL PLZ*   *DRUM ROLL PLZ*



3,144 rupees!!!! Yikes! So I basically spent a little over 60 dollars in the store >.< I know but since this was my first time, and it was a store in Rajput Nagar, I am content. I will at least have two outfits that I can mix n match. These clothes are supposedly good quality and don’t bleed. If they do, then you can bring them back and exchange them. And ladies, I found out that I am an XXL in majority of Kurta’s (the long shirts), so if you are plus size and think there is absolutely nothing in India that will fit you, there is still hope. The sizes go by your shoulder length.  If you have broad shoulders, then you will most likely have a larger size.

Now ladies, as you saw, the amount I paid for was a lot (especially if you are a D.O.A.D. or D.D. = Diva on a Dime). Please note that if spending 60 for two shirts,two scarfs and two pants is your kind of budget and sounds like a sweet deal that I'm glad I could help. However, I also approached this shopping experience with the mindset of people whom I have known to make $60 stretch for a bundle load of good quality clothing.

 I will keep you posted on if finding my kurta size in bazaars and markets is easy and feel free to email me at macau23c@mtholyoke.edu if you have other clothing questions. The biggest size I noticed in the Westfield store was XXXL (triple xl) which would be on a person that has about a 44-46 bra size. I think. Disclaimer: I am not a clothing expert nor a fashion guru. These are only estimates. Lol The smallest size there was an XS so if you're petite, the world is all yours. jk

I had lots of fun but for the most part, traveling in a large group, waiting until each person tried on their things , bought their things and left the store can be a lot. I am so tired but I should have remembered that when shopping, make sure you’ve got the time because it can be so draining lol

I think that’s all I’ve got for tonight, I’ll let you know how things go tomorrow and Ill make sure to post pictures of me in my Indian clothing. Also, I hope my host family will allow us to take lots of pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment